Which Medical Equipment Does Insurance Cover?

Commodes, canes, crutches, handicap walkers, wheelchairs, beds, are covered under Medicare Part B. However anything that is permanently installed in your home is typically not covered under Medicare. These things include railings, grab bars, shower stalls, shower seats or ramps. In order for durable medical equipment to qualify, it must be medically necessary, used in the home and is generally not useful in the absence of injury or disease.

Equipment for Stroke Victims

Medicare can be pretty limited for someone who recently experienced a stroke and now requires handrails and grab bars installed around the home. Luckily for people who recently had a stroke or surgery, a handicap walker is covered under Medicare and most insurances. Balance is one of the important things to focus on after a stroke. Practice standing on one leg while being assisted by someone, a wall or a walker. Make sure there are handrails or grab bars in your house as stroke victims tend to have a decreased sense of balance. Squats and moderate speed walking are both good leg exercises but should only be undertaken by someone who is capable. For stability and support during exercises, I would recommend a handicap walker. Contact your physician for more information regarding physical therapy.

Does Insurance Cover Crutches?

Medicare Part B covers the costs of crutches as long as it is prescribed by a doctor and is sold by participating Medicare dealers and suppliers. You cover the initial 20% costs of the crutches and Medicare covers the rest. This applies to canes as well.

Does Insurance or Medicare Cover Toilet Seats?

Unfortunately, most toilet seats modifications are considered personal convenience items and are not covered by Medicare. Medical equipment such as bed pans or commodes is covered by the insurance since it is medically necessary. These items are crucial to improving a person’s health and daily hygiene so they should be covered. Even if Medicare does not pay for the costs, your personal private insurance might have different guidelines as long as they are deemed medically necessary but you need to provide proof from a physician.

Document Medical Need for Equipment

Ask your primary care provider or licensed physician to document your medical need for such products. Get them to write out a prescription for the handicapped equipment and find out if they can refer you to someone who will supply the products under your insurance.

Also, call up your insurance plan and ask them what durable medical equipment they cover and what equipment does insurance pay for. Ask them for a directory of local handicap equipment suppliers in your state.

If you find out that you are not qualified under the insurance to pay for this handicapped equipment, be comforted by the fact that these products are quite affordable. Check out our store for medical equipment not always covered by insurance.